Estate planning is all about ensuring that your family understands your desires regarding your affairs and assets in the event of your incapacitation or death. However, many people find the estate planning process intimidating. This is where an experienced estate planning attorney can help. If you are interested in creating an estate plan, an estate planning attorney can help you create an estate plan that meets your unique needs. In this article, we discuss the role of an estate planning attorney in Kentucky.
About Estate Planning Attorneys
An estate planning attorney is a licensed attorney who focuses their practice on helping people plan for their futures. Also known as an estate planner and probate attorney, an estate planning attorney educates clients on the estate planning process and the laws that affect the taxation, disbursement, and transfer of people’s estates.
What Do Estate Planning Attorneys Do?
Estate planning attorneys help their clients create customized estate plans based on their unique needs. Common tasks performed by estate planning attorneys include:
- Identifying beneficiaries
- Drafting wills and other important estate planning documents
- Establishing powers of attorney
- Drafting long-term care plans and advanced healthcare directives
- Helping clients determine the ideal type of trusts for their needs
- Creating trusts to protect assets and transfer them to beneficiaries both before and after death
- Working with financial professionals to reduce or eliminate estate taxes through efficient tax planning
- Identifying methods to avoid the Kentucky probate process
Is an Estate Planning Attorney Necessary?
If you are interested in creating an estate plan in Kentucky, an estate planning attorney is an invaluable resource. Without an estate planning attorney on your side, creating an estate plan can be nearly impossible due to the complicated legal requirements associated with the process. However, an estate planning attorney will make sure that you have a comprehensive and legally sufficient estate plan. Additional benefits of working with an experienced Kentucky estate planning attorney include:
- The creation of a customized estate plan
- Access to legal advice from someone who is highly experienced in estate planning
- Confidence that your estate planning decisions are legally sound and compliant with state and federal laws
- Guidance regarding choosing individuals to handle your affairs following your incapacitation or death
Contact a Shelby County Estate Planning Attorney
If you are ready to begin the estate planning process in the state of Kentucky, you need an experienced estate planning attorney on your side. At Berkley Oliver PLLC, our experienced and knowledgeable estate planning lawyers assist clients throughout Central Kentucky with their estate planning needs. Regardless of you and your family’s estate planning needs, our knowledgeable attorneys have the tools necessary to create an estate plan that will leave you protected for years to come. Please contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with a Shelby County estate planning attorney.